Student Reference Mixes - Spring 2019
Reference Mixes suggested by students.
- I've listened to this song so many times that it is a good reference mix to learn the acoustics of a room. I also love the energy of the song.
- Produced by AFI
- Mix Engineer - Andy Ernst
- Mastering Engineer - Thad LaRue
Alex Vourtsanis - Sunset
- Acoustic Country Music performed by top musicians exquisitely mixed with an open, bright presence. The lower mids of the LV are a little muddy in the 400-500 Hz.
- Sax Doug Sax - Mastering Engineer
- About It Forget About It Album - Wikipedia
- Alison Krauss - Producer, Vocals, Fiddle.
- Paczosa Gary Paczosa - Mix Engineer
Alkaline Trio - Time To Waste
- Written by: Matt Skiba, Dan Andriano, and Derek Grant
- Album: Crimson
- Released: May 24, 2005
BadBadNotGood - Time Moves Slow
- Time Moves slow is an amazing piece that combines the chaos of Jazzy drums to a slow tempo that puts you in a trance. Mixed with the vocals of Sam Herring, why wouldn't you love it!
- Producer - Chester Hansen
- Mix Engineer - Matthew Tavares
- Mastering Engineer - Joao Carvalho
Brian Wilson-Runaway Dancer
- Artist-Brian Wilson
- Album-No Pier Pressure
- It's mixture of both jazz and disco was very interesting
D33J - On my side (demo)
- Producer: D33J
- Mix Engineer: D33J
- Mastering Engineer: D33J
Daughtry-Its Not Over
- Year Released 7/1/1959
- This is a jazz standard that most everyone knows. It has crisp clear snare and cymbal beats, a sweet tenor sax groove that produces nice hi-mid tones and an understated bass/piano combination that provides a hip swing feel. Pretty progressive stuff for its time and still holds up 60 years later.
- Artist Website
- Producer Teo Macero
- Mix Engineer
- Mastering Engineer
- Five Take 5 - Wikipedia
David Crosby-Things We Do For Love
- David Crosby
- Soft and romantic dominating acoustic guitars pair with a choir of voices is just really cool
Dead Mau5 - 4ware
- The song flashes the listener back to the early Deadmau5 sound of Faxin' Berlin. The deep groove encourages the listener to be patient, and sit back for an extended listen. The track is driven by a classic Mau5 drum pattern accompanied by another signature arpeggio throughout the arrangement. Mau5 brings in a nostalgic chord to evoke emotion and keep the listener engaged. As always, it's mixed beautifully, with just enough space for each voice to sparkle.
- [cubev3.com cubev3.com]
- Producer: Joel Zimmerman
- Mix Engineer: Joel Zimmerman
- Mastering Engineer: Joel Zimmerman
Discourage - Burden
- November, 2018.
- I chose this track because 1) I played drums and bass on it, 2) I had a WAV file that fit the parameters of the assignment, 3) I rerecorded this in January 2019 with Greg Wilkenson at Earhammer Studios (won a Grammy for his work on the High on Fire record alongside Kurt Ballou). This reference has its ups and downs. The guitars sound tight and I like the low end of the bass as well as the balance of levels. However, I don't like the kick drum and wish the bass sounded more raw.
- Producing/Mixing/Mastering Engineer: Marc Estebillo
Drake - Free Smoke
- March 18, 2017
- Album: More Life: A Playlist by October Firm
- Producer(s): Boi-1da, Ritter; Akira
- Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap
EarthWind Fire-Boogie Wonderland
Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
- Album: Dis is da drum
- Fusion/Hip-hop Jazz.
- I use this track to audition high-end speakers since it covers a large frequency range (especially the bass), and has good spatial qualities.
- Producer: Herbie Hancock and Bill Summers
- Mix Engineers: Darrell Robertson, Darrell Smith
- Mastering Engineer: Brian Gardner
JasonMraz - Everything is Sound
- Producer - Carl Galnville
- A rock/pop song that is close to my taste and what I play on my guitar and sing with.
- Starts with vocal accompanied with guitar only at the beginning with additional instruments added later. The voice is not too bright nor too dull .
- Mix Engineer - Justin Hergett
- Mastering Engineer - TBD
John Mellencamp - Pink Houses
- Good acoustic rocker!
- Producer - Don Gehman
- Mix Engineer - David Thoener, Don Gehman
- Mastering Engineer - Bob Ludwig
Kurt Elling - A Hard Rain Is Gonna Fall
- Album: Questions
- Acoustic Jazz Vocal.
- This is my go to track as it is so well recorded. Download the 96K version from HDtracks.com. The vocals incredibly natural sounding and intimate, the placement of the acoustic instruments in the 3D soundstage is absolutely stunning. The entire album was recorded and mixed at Seer Sound in NYC entirely through the Lynx Aurora(n)converter/interface. The vocal chain is a Flea M49 mic with a K49 capsule going into a BAE 1073MPF then into a Tubetech CL1b straight into the Aurora.
- Producer: Branford Marsalis & Kurt Elling
- Mix Engineers: Christopher Allen
- Mastering Engineer: Greg Calbi==== Sterling Sound ====
Released March, 2018. Features Branford Marsalis, Jeff "Train" Watts.
- Producer - Joel Little
- Songwriters - Ella Yelich-O'Connor, Joel Little
Mary J.Blige-strength of a woman
Mike Oldfield - Let There Be Light
- Refreshing. The album is based on Arthur C. Clarke’s science fiction novel “Songs of Distant Earth.”
- Producer: Mike Oldfield
- Engineers: Phil Dane and Mike Oldfield
Nine Inch Nails - Even Deeper
- Written by Trent Reznor and Danny Lohner
- Mixing Assistance by Dr. Dre
- Album: The Fragile
- Released: September 21, 1999
Nine Inch Nails - Heresy
- Written by Trent Reznor
- Album: The Downward Spiral
- Released: March 8, 1994
OneLessReason-Where Were You
PJ Harvey - Big Exit
- Album: Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
- Release Date: 10/24/2000
- Producer: Harvey, Mick Harvey, PJ Harvey, Rob Ellis
- Composer: PJ Harvey
- Lyricist: PJ Harvey
- Mixer: Victor Van Vugt
- Studio Personnel: Victor Van Vugt
- Minimal in some ways, but really funky too.
RADWIMPS - Nandemonaiya
- Relaxing, featured in the movie Your Name.
- Producer - RADWIMPS
Robert de Boron - Chiru - 2012
- Love the piano sound as well as the bass and drum pattern. Also, the underwater effect at the middle of the song. It is a nice blend between acoustic and electronic music.
- Robert de Boron
- Producer: Robert de Boron
- Mix Engineer: Robert de Boron
- Mastering Engineer: Robert de Boron
- Mix Engineer - Joey Raia
- Description of production:
- It's very well done. You can hear everything and everyone with impeccable clarity and balance. The caliber of the Nineteen players and singers demands, and received, no less. This track was produced between 1978 and 1980, just before IBM announced their first personal computers (Apple was something akin to HeathKit back then ... for hobbyists and enthusiasts). There was no "in the box", and no MIDI. "Nineteen Hey Nineteen" was produced the "old fashioned" way, with analog/physical equipment, by Audio Production masters (no pun intended ... well maybe just a little).
- Steely Dan
- Producer: Katz Gary Katz
- Mix Engineer: Scheiner Elliot Scheiner
- Mastering Engineer: Ludwig Bob Ludwig
Talking Heads -- Burning Down the House
- 80's art rock/new wave/funk, with ample synth and a punchy beat.
- Artist Website: Talking Heads Official Site
- Producer: Talking Heads
- Mix Engineer: Harrison Jerry Harrison and Badarou Wally Badarou
- Mastering Engineer: Harrison Jerry Harrison and Badarou Wally Badarou
The Brobecks - Better Than Me
- Website: The Brobecks
- Producer: Casey Crescenzo
- a sarcastically upbeat song with punchy guitar and a male vocalist who can really sing
Tigran Hamasyan - The Grid
Tom Payne - Later On
Travis Scott - CAN'T SAY
- ASTROWORLD (2018)
- Written by: Jacques Webster. Don Toliver, Ebony Oshunrinde, James Austin Cyr
- Produced by: Wondagurl, London Cyr, Mike Dean
- Mixed by: Mike Dean
Twenty One Pilots ft. MuteMath-Ride-2016
- Love the punchy drums mixed with low sub bass that gives the song a nice pop. Clear and consistent vocals with a nice blend of keyboard/synth effects.
- Producer: Twenty One Pilots and MuteMath
- Mix Engineer: Paul Meany
- Mastering Engineer: Paul Meany
VACATIONS - Steady
Toto - Africa - 1981
- Written by David Paich and Jeff Porcaro
- David Paich – lead and backing vocals, synthesizer, piano
- Bobby Kimball – lead and backing vocals
- Steve Lukather – electric guitar, backing vocals
- Steve Porcaro – synthesizers
- David Hungate – bass guitar
- Jeff Porcaro – drums, cowbell, gong, additional percussion
- Lenny Castro – congas, shakers, additional percussion
- Timothy B. Schmit – 12 string acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Joe Porcaro – percussion, marimba
- Jim Horn – recorders
- Released by Epic Records on January, 1983
- Song was written and composed by Jackson
- Song was produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones
- Genre: Post-Punk, Rhythm and Blues, Funk, Dance-Pop
Zomboy - Born to Survive - 2019
- Produced by: Zomboy
- Featured artist: rx Soul
- Album: Rott N' Roll Pt. 2